Thursday, July 14, 2005

BUTTERMILK PIE

Ingredients

Mix together:
3 cups sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 sticks of margarine

In a separate bowl mix:
6 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions

Pour the liquid over the sugar/margarine/flour mixture. Mix well.

Pour into two unbaked pie shells.

Bake at 325 F for 1 hour.

***

This is B’s mother’s recipe, otherwise known as ‘The Country Place Buttermilk Pie.’ I know it as one of the reasons I knew that I was going to marry B. The last time I ate this pie was when I was still eating sugary things. I don’t eat anything sugary anymore, but the memory is so strong that I can still remember the flavors from two decades ago: sweet upon sweet upon sweet.

I baked three buttermilk pies for Andrew's 17th birthday simply because this was his third 17th birthday celebration. Everyone was tired of cake. The pies drew rave reviews. Add white Blue Bell ice cream on top and everyone, especially Andrew, asked for thirds. Success!! I'm not going to try this one myself - instead I cut up a fresh nectarine into sections and enjoy my own mouthful of sweetness.

Andrew's 19 year old brother Benton inadvertently poured buttermilk on his Rice Chex and deemed it highly unacceptable.

Moral of that story: Buttermilk NEVER replaces milk in your cereal bowl.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I don't eat any sugar either, but the idea of birthday pies is great. My man would love it. Thank you!

http://birthday-ideas.blogspot.com/

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home